Hey Peeps. Happy Valentine’s Day. I hope you have a moment to share some sweetness today with your family, friends and with yourself. Love yourself and others will love you too!
Now about DIY. I have to tell you, I love my house. I have decorated every inch of it myself from fancy trims to floors to custom murals but none of it means anything without the people in my life to share it with. The men in my life, hubby and 3 sons, are the air I breathe. So I want you to protect the people in your home as I do mine. Please read read and consider doing the following to keep your hens and chicken safe. Winter is the most common time for house fires, so be smart. Love your home and it will love you back and protect you!
- Make a fire escape plan. Include plan for dealing with infants toddlers and pets. Even if it means putting your dog or cat or kid in a pillow case to carry them out. DO IT. They sometimes cooperate more when they can’t see what’s happening. Here is a great video from FEMA on fire escape plans.
- Have a meeting place outside for after the escape. Maybe it’s the mailbox or shed. Stay away from the house but be near enough to guide others to safety.
- Have your furnace and chimney checked annually by a pro, especially if you burn fires often.
- NEVER use grills, chimineas or fire pits inside the garage.
- PLEASE be careful with electrical cords. Do not overload them. (When I was Director of Nursing in retirement home, we experienced a fire in an apt from bad cord. One of our female retirees died that night. I take this very seriously, as I could not get to her door to get her out due to smoke conditions. I will always regret not being able to get to her. Her name was Anne.)
- USE Space heaters with great caution. Never leave unattended. Keep them away from furniture and flammables items.
- Check your smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors twice a year!
- Watch this great clip from NBC news investigative report on space heaters. Really well done.
Now be safe and keep the fires burning in your love life, not anywhere else!